Overview of Features within the Folder Properties Screen
We live in a world full of information. Wouldn't it be nice if it was centrally located and easy to find? For FileAssist users, it is! The Folder Properties screen provides all the important details of the selected folder so that you can review it at a glance, and manage your data with a few clicks. The Folder Properties screen contains three tabs: General, File Tracking, and Sharing. Here we've provided an overview of how to access Folder Properties and the features available in each tab. If you would like step-by-step instructions for changing properties and settings contained within the Account Settings screen, you may choose one of the following tutorials:
Fields within the General Tab:
- Folder Location: Displays the complete file path of the selected folder.
- Created: Displays the date the folder was created.
- Size: Displays the combined size of all files in selected folder, including all subfolders.
- Contains: Displays the combined number of all files in selected folder, including all subfolders.
Name: Displays the folder name.
- Description: Allows you to add a note or description of the folder limited to 2000 characters.
File Tracking Tab
Note: The File Tracking tab has two sections named File Tracking and Change email settings.
Fields within the File Tracking Tab File Tracking Section:
- Folder Owner: Name of the user or sub user with ownership of the selected.
- File History Logging Check Box: Enables/disables File History. With File History enabled, a backup copy of every file version uploaded to the selected folder (and subfolders inheriting properties from the selected folder) is stored in the folder owner's Version History Repository folder.
- Versions: When File History Logging is enabled, you can set the number of versions the system will retain as backup for each file. If you only want to use the File History Log feature without retaining any backup versions, select 0 (zero) from the Keep dropdown menu. Data Restore feature that takes a snapshot of every account at 5:00 a.m. Eastern Time, and keeps those snapshots up to 30 days, including the number of file versions you have chosen to keep.
- Checkin/Checkout Check Box: A Groupshare feature, this check box enables/disables the enforcement of Checkin/Checkout Version Control rules on the selected folder. With this feature enabled, all downloads and uploads are automatically tracked using a Checkin/Checkout system. For more on this feature,click here.
- Disable Delete: Completely disables all deletion capability within the selected folder and subfolders. When turned on in the parent (root) folder, prevents deletion of files in all folders associated with the account. This prevents accidental deletion for important files. This feature can be used with File History and Checkout for complete version protection.
- Folder Contents Report: Exports a report of all activity within the folder.
Email Settings Section
Fields within the File Tracking Tab Email Settings Section:
- Daily Activity Report Check Box: Enables an emailed daily report displaying all file updates done during a 24-hour period.
- File Checkout Report Check Box: Automatically email a notification of every file checkout at the time of the download.
- Always send Email to all Users Check Box: When enabled, all members of the GroupShare for a selected folder will be included in email distributions.
- Standard Recipients, Folder Owner Check Box: Enables the folder owner to receive the specified reports and notifications.
- Standard Recipients, Groupshare Users Check Box: Enables GroupShare participants to receive the specified reports and notifications.
- Additional Recipients: A free form field, you may specify other email addresses to included in the distribution, even if they are not GroupShare users. Any valid email address is acceptable and separate multiple email aliases with semi-colons (e.g., "email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org").
- Select User/Group: Select a user or group to modify their settings.
- Set Permission: This is where you can set permissions for a selected group share.
- Folder Contents Report: Exports the contents of the selected folder, including file names, subfolder names, date/time stamps, and file sizes, to an Excel file.
- Save Button: Saves changes made to properties and settings within the Folder Properties screen.
- Close: Closes the window without saving changes.
- Add lifecycle rule: Determines how long a file will remain in the folder before it is purged automatically from our system.
- Delete: Deletes a lifecycle rule.
Activity History Log
- Choose Activity: Displays what actions have been taken within a folder and which ones you want to see
- Export: Exports a report of selected file activities
- Search: Enables you to look for a specific file to see its history
Important Information About the File Properties Screen
- A nightly process removes all excess file versions according to this "Retain Versions" setting. For this reason, if you upload new versions, you may see versions beyond the Retain Versions setting until the following day.